logo

Go Back   Canary HotSpot > Canary Island Forums > General Chat

Old 10-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Default Canarian Weekly: Airport theft blamed on its security system

A BRITISH tourist, returning to the UK after a week in sunny Spain, claims he was robbed of ?400 cash and his credit cards at Alicante Airport.

He said the incident must have happened when his rucksack passed through the security system. Kev, the only name he would give, said: ?All was well until we got to the airport. I had my euros on me, but, foolishly, I left my other wallet with my English money in my rucksack.

He added: ?The only time my bag was out of sight was when it went through the security scanner. I walked through the scanner, but then the belt stopped while security men changed over.

?That was the only place my bag was out of sight. I didn?t need pounds so I didn?t find it missing until I got to Liverpool airport. I felt sick when I found all my cards and ?400 were missing.

The bewildered man has issued a public warning on Facebook, saying: ?Keep your money on you at the airport at all times. It?s a warning from someone who feels a stupid idiot. But if that stops it happening to someone else, it would be great.?

Other members of Facebook groups have expressed concern about the plastic trays going through out of sight on the conveyor system, while passengers can often be delayed by personal security checks.

One commenter said: ?You can be ages getting scanned because they are that slow. And all the time, your tray?s at the bottom, with money, ipad and phones? all there for all to help themselves!!!?

Another added: ?You put your bags, laptop, keys on to the conveyor, then they wave you forward. And you don?t see them again until you get through all the checks.

If you walk with them alongside the conveyor, as I try to do, security has a fit. If you are stopped to be searched, your wallet, watch, phone, etc, are just stood there, unattended, for anyone to lift. This system needs to be reviewed.?

Karen Hanson, an administrator on the Benidorm & Costa Blanca News & Information Forum, said: ?Money and valuables don?t just disappear. Someone is helping himself to our belongings.

?Whether it?s other passengers, or staff, it needs reporting and dealing with by the airport. CCTV is everywhere in airports, so there?s no excuse for any theft not be thoroughly investigated.?

She added: ?I used to work in a supermarket and we regularly got searched on our way out at the end of our shifts, usually by management and the security guard.

?They weren?t happy when I asked one day who searched them when they were going home!

?Thieves come in all guises, and, just because someone?s in a job of trust, it doesn?t mean he or she won?t steal.?

Sponsored Links

Tags
None

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: