logo

Go Back   Canary HotSpot > Canary Island Forums > Tenerife Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default Property New to Forum - Moving to Tenerife

Hi everyone, after 3 years in the planning, we are a couple of weeks away from our move from UK to Tenerife, that's myself (Martin), my wife and 2 children aged 14 and 11, along with our two cats who will be flying out using Pet Air a few days later. My children start at Wingate in September, my wife will become a lady of leisure and hopefully learn some Spanish.

Thought I'd ask all my questions in one hit, so a little long

To start, we are renting a villa a couple of minutes walk away from Playa Del Duque - having stayed in hotels in that area about 25 times in the last couple of years thought that would be the safest bet to be close to a familiar area. I've worked in Santa Cruz in the past for several months and have explored pretty much the whole island during visits - having now visited in every month of the year to check the weather to make sure we buy in the right area.

We are looking to buy a rural/ finca type property in or around the area of Alcala (when I say rural I mean 5-10 mins walk to the beach but without neighbours too close). Can anyone advise what they think about this area, we have been there probably 100 times now and find it is close enough to the tourist areas but also far enough away, but living somewhere is very different to visiting.

If anyone can answer any of the below I'd be very grateful.

As I don't fully understand how you buy a car there, would you suggest that we bring one of our RHD UK cars to start for the first couple of months and then take it back to the UK? Or better to just buy one straightaway?

Lastly, if we Ship our boat (UK Registered) which I would tow is it a major issue / expense to register it in Tenerife, its sitting on a new EU approved twin axle trailer and I'm not worried about the expense/ time in towing it / ferry costs etc - its more about the tax on importing it and hassle of registering it. Do you have to have a license to use a boat there? I read that my International Boat License is not valid and that you have to retake the test in Spanish?

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links

Tags
None

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: